Saturday, April 21, 2012

Great Pizza, Good Friends and "Muito" Hospitality

 It's a bit embarrassing for me to admit but I had one year of Spanish in High School - that's it for my foreign language education.  I think back on all of the excuses and reasons for me not to learn a foreign language.  It's a regret.   The result is that when I travel abroad I am at the mercy and gracious hospitality of my hosts for them to speak in a second, unnatural language.  By the grace of God, English - by default- has become the international business language; otherwise, I would not be able to make it. 

Thursday night we dined at Bendita Hora with our hosts - Mariano Gracino, Otavio Dias and his girlfriend Priscilla.  Earlier in the day I had asked Mariano if there was good pizza in Alphaville.  The gracious host that he is wasted no time in finding a recommendation - Bendita Hora.  We loved it!!  The pizza was fired in a traditional wood-fired, brick oven with an abundance of fresh toppings.  Tracy chose the "Tres Funghi" pizza and Priscilla chose the "Bareu".  The thin, crisp crust was perfectly cooked and paired well with Argentinian Carmenere wine. 

As good as the pizza, the company and atmosphere of the restaurant were even better.  Our hosts educated us on the Portuguese language, culture and the rivalries and history of Sao Paulo futbol.  Pele' played for Santos.  The best player today is Neymar and he is only 20 and plays for Santos as well.  Mariano and Otavio like Corinthians while Priscilla supports Sao Paulo.  With this group it was all good-natured fun, but I have no doubt on game day that the rivalry matches that of Louisville - Kentucky or Michigan - Ohio State.  Our hosts patiently answered our questions in English while we enjoyed good food and wine.



The next night Tracy and I ventured out to the Tambore' shopping complex and visited Agua Doce (translated as "Sweet Water").  It reminded us of Buffalo Wild Wings.  The beer was cold and the food was similar to bar/tavern food.  We liked the small meat pies that were stuffed with cream cheese and corned beef.  Our waiter for the evening was proud of his English and helped us through our dinner - much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment