Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Irish Car Bomb - A brief personal history

First, my apologies to any politically-correct Irishman that may be offended; but given my Irish ancestry and the fact that Irish and politically-correct are rarely used in the same sentence I should be free to discuss this delicious concoction.

I was first introduced to the Car Bomb at a friend's 30th birthday party in 2004.  He was the second oldest in attendance while I was well into my fourth decade.  The young, hard-drinking crowd insisted that I had to drink an Irish Car Bomb.  Given the name and the crowd I was a tad anxious.  My anxiety only increased when I watched them prepare the car bombs.  For those that are not familiar an Irish car bomb looks like this....

1/2 pint Guinness Stout
1/2 shot Irish Whiskey
1/2 shot Bailey's Irish Cream

Drop the shot glass into the 1/2 pint of Guinness and then down the hatch - pure, logic-defying deliciousness.  I had one more that night.

Interestingly enough, they did not know what a car bomb was in Ireland.  I may have even offended the bar tender for asking.

I have had a few more over the years but it's been a good three or four years since my last until two weeks ago when I was given an Irish Car Bomb Cupcake.  Kudos to Kat Nelson for baking them for her Dad's (Bill Nelson of Rock Island) birthday. 

Guinness chocolate cupcakes
Filled with Irish Whiskey Ganache
and topped with
Bailey's Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting

Yeehaw!!

Thanks Kat.

No comments:

Post a Comment